The Lower River Taw ( Note not Kingford)

It is sad to relay the sad news of the death of Humphrey Wood who contributed a huge amount of time and effort into preserving the River Taw. I fished at Kingford several years ago whilst writing ” I Caught A Glimpse” and have fond memories of visiting the hut mentioned by Alex Gibson below.

Dear Members,

I hope that you are all well, it is with sadness that I pass on the below from Alex.

All members will be sad to hear that Humphrey Wood died recently. He played an important role in West Country fishing life  generally and made a huge contribution to the Taw in particular.During the first part of my Chairmanship, from about 2008 to 2015 Humphrey and I worked together on the Weirs Project. It would be hard to overstate his contribution to the success of this major achievement. RTFA, as it was then, was the beneficiary of his technical knowledge and the range of his contacts in the EA and Westcountry Rivers Trust, our partners.Humphrey fished at Kingford, a part of the river he loved. The fishing hut he built with Ron Warwick, another RTFA stalwart, can be seen from the road on the way from Kingford Bridge to Portsmouth Arms; it is a fitting monument.Humphrey and Polly moved from Roborough to Broughton in Hampshire a few years ago, but Humphrey never lost his interest in Taw matters. I was able to keep him in the picture with phone calls from time to time. He will be greatly missed by all in the fishing community who knew him.

Alex Gibson
November 2021

Extract for my book I Caught a Glimpse referring to the hut

The fishing hut provides the angler with a resting place during the angling day, a place to pause for contemplation, saviour a brew of tea and exchange tales and tactics with fellow anglers. Ron worked with Humphrey Wood on his fishing hut on the middle Taw. This hut features in the book, “Fishing Huts –The Anglers Sanctuary” by Jo Orchard Lisle. A pleasing book that details angling huts throughout England.

Humphrey Wood’s hut was built to replace the old hut that was swept away by a big winter flood. To avoid a repeat performance the new hut was built upon stilts. Heavy duty posts that were driven deep into the ground using the appropriate tool. Ron told me that each post had to be inch perfect so that the hut would sit firmly in its place. The building of the hut took a couple of months and on completion a small party of family and friends assembled to drink a toast and share a good luck cake to celebrate the occasion.

The hut with its elevated position should provide many years of service and will be host to many happy days beside the ever-flowing Taw.