A unique opportunity has arisen at Ilfracombe Aquarium with a position that would suit many keen aquarists. See details of vacancy below : –
Ilfracombe Aquarium Vacancy
Part-time Aquarist/Visitor Engagement Assistant
Based at the aquarium, the chosen candidate will assist in the overall, daily operations of the aquarium with the majority of time allocated to exhibit area servicing and management.
These include; maintenance of aquatic life support, daily husbandry work for the animals, meeting nutritional requirements and feeding practises, health and hygiene, record keeping in accordance with Zoo License requirements, engagement with health and safety policies and general planning ahead to support the collection and other colleagues.
The role will be hands-on, assisting in the preparation of front of house and the exhibit area before visitor arrivals, ongoing daily maintenance and carrying out a closing down procedure.
Visitor engagement is a key part of the role. This includes general interaction with the customers, providing educational talks, feeding demonstrations, sharing points of interest and assisting with children’s quizzes.
The exhibit team here is established with many years of experience. They remain a wholly motivated, friendly and passionate team with their primary role being in promoting local wildlife, habitats and environmental awareness to visitors. They currently care for approximately 70 species of native freshwater and marine life in their recreated natural habitats. They look forward to welcoming the chosen candidate and will support their training in order to establish them as a key supportive and valued team member.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: From £11.44 per hour
Expected hours: 10 – 30 per week (subject to seasonal demands).
Benefits: Employee discount
Schedule: Monday to Friday & weekend availability
Start date; 04/03/24
Requirements; Essential and Preferred Skills
- Education: Certificate of Higher Education (preferred)
- Experience: Animal care including aquatics: 2 years (preferred)
- Customer facing work &/or experience.
- Highly motivated, energetic and reliable team player.
- To have passion for wildlife and possess environmental and conservation credentials.
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to communicate clearly with children, disabilities and other audiences.
- Quick to learn and approve aquarium ethos and practises.
- Practical and good at problem solving.
- Dynamic; able to offer ideas. Develop teaching resources for formal and informal education.
- Full clean driving license
Submissions to include expression of interest, CV and referee/reference details. Send ASAP to e[email protected]
Those successful at application will be invited to interview.
The Old Lifeboat House
EX34 9EQ01271 864533